Akon takes the stage at the Blockdown Virtual Briefing this evening equally one of the most influential figures in blockchain's shift from niche financial tool for techies to the mass adoption of digital currencies. The creator of Akoin discussed the reasons for his transition from music awareness to philanthropist and crypto-entrepreneur with Cointelegraph Magazine.

"The Mandelas... the Bob Marleys… At that place accept been people fighting for us all the mode from the Martin Luther Kings to the Malcolm 10's."

And at present, Akon wants to have that fight further.

Although he has been aware of cryptocurrencies since coming together Brock Pierce dorsum in 2022, the notion that they could exist used to fight government abuse in Africa took hold subsequently.

How a trivial change inspired a lot of modify

For Akon, the inspiration struck on a flight from Senegal to French republic every bit he returned from spending time on Akon Lighting Africa, a program that provides solar-powered lighting solutions in African countries.

"I had a pocket full of CFA, which is our local currency. I was rushed to the airport and didn't get a chance to transfer information technology while I was at the aerodrome, so I was like, I'll just wait until I get to France and I'll trade it over."

But although France had created the currency, Akon found it to be useless when he landed in that location.

"They told me, 'Well, I'm deplorable we can't trade that.'" And when Akon questioned that statement, the answer led to the idea for Akon City, a 'sustainable eco-tourism smart city' in Senegal.

Considering the answer he was given about his pocketful of alter was truly revealing: "It has no value."

"And at that moment, I was like, okay. Something has to be washed well-nigh this. This is only bullshit. I'chiliad not continuing for this. We have to have our own currency."

"That was a moment that made me fully engaged."