Forum home Problem solving

Foxes are ruining my new plants, and digging up soil in my pots and doing a lot of damage

Foxes are ruining my new plants, and digging upwards soil in my pots and doing a lot of harm every night. How practise I become rid of them delight?

Posts

  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight. Posts: iii,154
    With great difficulty, I'm agape. They tin climb and dig and so fences and walls offering limited help. I live in the country where foxes are yet afraid of human contact simply if y'all are in the urban center where they have been half tamed, there is a real trouble. The pots may exist protected with a covering of wire mesh, until the plants are well grown and of less interest, but you too need something to proceed them off the borders. I hope someone else can advise on that. I would also enquire EVERYONE to stop feeding and encouraging urban foxes. They are wild animals and they belong in the wild.
  • Have you used any butchery by-products such as dried blood or bone meal?  The smell attracts them, and they volition think there'southward meat to be found if they merely dig deep plenty!
  • @jyotijshah - @josusa47 is correct - they're attracted by bone meal, so if yous've used that, it could exist a reason.
    I also hold with you @Posy. Some people run across them equally cute little dogs.... :/
    If fences or walls are high enough , it helps, merely otherwise information technology's difficult. The water scarecrows might assistance if y'all're able to become 1 and rig information technology  upwardly.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

  • I couldn't agree more than with the advice non to feed foxes.  They are perfectly capable of looking after themselves, and may even assistance reduce the levels of other vermin if they have to become their own food.
  • Nosotros have had no finish of bug with foxes. It boiled downward to a neighbour feeding them. Very difficult to deter though. I have institute that a thick watery mix of the likes of cayenne pepper, chilli powder in the areas where they dig does deter for brusque periods. Yous will need to do this every couple of days.
    Other tips.. When they dig make sure y'all put the soil back. Foxes honey mess
    As the rest of the posters have suggested dont employ any fertilzer with beast products in.
    Horrible chore but if they poop clean it up and use a weakened detoll solution to spray the area
    Adept luck
  • Must exist something in those pots. We had a play a trick on for years slept on our compost heap, drank in the garden swimming, never was any bother in the garden.

    Totally concord regarding feeding. I don't believe in feeding any wild animal. We have had hedgehog families on and off down the years, never needed to feed them. I gave upwards feeding wild birds when I read articles that the feeding stations tin be disease fundamental and may cause declines in some species. Feeding a fox is asking for trouble.

    Practice consider the Scarecrow water squirters, I have had a lot of problems with the neighbour's true cat, it's really is non the average true cat and hunts constantly fifty-fifty in the mean solar day. With a veg plot (read huge litter tray and overnice place to dig up seedlings) and a wildlife garden (read free larder), information technology became intolerable. I tried everything, became depressed near it, then invested heavily in motion sensor squirters. Doesn't impairment the cat, soon taught it my garden is Non part of it's territory. You just need a mains water supply as they need the pressure level to piece of work.

  • Thankyou all, I am going to get Scarecrow h2o squirters. Take seen few types on Amazon. Whatever specific type sugession ?
  • I use Contech Scarecrow. The one tip I would give is to utilise brass hose fittings. The hozelock plastic prune on blazon tin can popular off, which tin pb to a flooded garden. Brass fittings totally solved this problem for me.
  • Thankyou very much for all the help :)